Monday, April 26, 2010

5k down, 12k to go!

Sunday I woke up at 6:30 am and started stumbling around the house. Sunday was race day for the Top Pot Doughnuts 5k at Greenlake. I made some peanut butter toast and started getting ready for my first race of the 2010 season. I left the house at about 7:30 to meet Jacques @ Dicks on 45th. We met up and left for the lake at about 8:30. We parked so.far.away, my damn quad was cramping (the one I pulled in soccer last week) as we were walking (the 2 miles!) up to the race. I was actually thinking I might not be able to run! After stretching it out awhile it started feeling better so I decided to get into the line-up. I wore my running tights, new shorts and the Top Pot shirt over my sport tank and orginal race shirt. I hate when they give the shirt to you in the beginning, it makes it akward.

Gun time was 9:30. I was lined up with the 12 min pace people and it took for-ev-er to get to the starting point. At least it was chipped so that I had an accurate time. I ran/jogged the whole race and I am so pround of myself. I kept thinking about walking, then realized I was breathing okay and my legs were doing good. Stop thinking Tawnya and just run! I knew my Grandma was there giving me strength to fkeep going. I passed mile marker 1, 2, and then 3. I knew the finish was around the corner. As I came close to the finish line, I saw Jacques and he was waving and yelling. It felt so good to finish that race. It was the first race I actually ran the whole time, what an accomplisment. Funny thing is that my pace was slower than any other even though I didn't stop to walk. This just leaves plenty of room for improvement.

Next race is the Bloomsday 12k. That is almost 7.5 miles! It is next Sunday; Hub and I leave for Spokane Friday morning. Last years time was 1:36 and unfortunately I don't think I will be beating it this year. I am going to make sure that next year I will be in better shape and more prepared. My next 5k is June 6th (so far) and is the Race for the Cure - Seattle. I will be running it with my new running buddy Jacques! I am so stoked.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for your inspirational sharing! I am a new follower and have also given you The Versatile Blogger Award! Please stop by my blog at your earliest opportunity to pick up your award and receive instructions on gifting it forward. Keep up the excellent work!

    Becky from
    http://mywalkfromflabtofab.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete