Monday, April 26, 2010

5k down, 12k to go!

Sunday I woke up at 6:30 am and started stumbling around the house. Sunday was race day for the Top Pot Doughnuts 5k at Greenlake. I made some peanut butter toast and started getting ready for my first race of the 2010 season. I left the house at about 7:30 to meet Jacques @ Dicks on 45th. We met up and left for the lake at about 8:30. We parked so.far.away, my damn quad was cramping (the one I pulled in soccer last week) as we were walking (the 2 miles!) up to the race. I was actually thinking I might not be able to run! After stretching it out awhile it started feeling better so I decided to get into the line-up. I wore my running tights, new shorts and the Top Pot shirt over my sport tank and orginal race shirt. I hate when they give the shirt to you in the beginning, it makes it akward.

Gun time was 9:30. I was lined up with the 12 min pace people and it took for-ev-er to get to the starting point. At least it was chipped so that I had an accurate time. I ran/jogged the whole race and I am so pround of myself. I kept thinking about walking, then realized I was breathing okay and my legs were doing good. Stop thinking Tawnya and just run! I knew my Grandma was there giving me strength to fkeep going. I passed mile marker 1, 2, and then 3. I knew the finish was around the corner. As I came close to the finish line, I saw Jacques and he was waving and yelling. It felt so good to finish that race. It was the first race I actually ran the whole time, what an accomplisment. Funny thing is that my pace was slower than any other even though I didn't stop to walk. This just leaves plenty of room for improvement.

Next race is the Bloomsday 12k. That is almost 7.5 miles! It is next Sunday; Hub and I leave for Spokane Friday morning. Last years time was 1:36 and unfortunately I don't think I will be beating it this year. I am going to make sure that next year I will be in better shape and more prepared. My next 5k is June 6th (so far) and is the Race for the Cure - Seattle. I will be running it with my new running buddy Jacques! I am so stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment